Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Friday, October 13, 2006

Boys and Girls...

It's story time.

When I lived in Savannah I worked for a catering company. The best catering company in Savannah, thank you very much. J and A were the married couple that ran the place. At that time they had the kitchen in their garage, so after work we'd always end up in a glass of bourbon or, if the mood struck, their heated pool. I became very close to J and A and when we left I missed them very much.

When J and A came to Savannah they had 1 car, 2 dogs, and $50 to their name. Now they own a HUGE house with a HUGE yard. J likes toys, especially those of the electronic persuasion, and I think he owns just about every one. He has a 72-inch flat screen HD TV, Xbox 360, tons of gaming stuff to go with it, DVD players out the wazoo, and enough remote controls to cover the kitchen floor. He also likes things that move, so he owns a Goldwing motorcycle. The business has since moved into a building (they built it and own it), so the garage now has space for A's VW bug and J's brand new car.

When we first arrived J had to take us around the house and show off the new toys he and A have acquired. Hubby and I "Oooooo" and "Awwwww"ed our way through all of it. Hubby tried to keep it cool, you know, like, "That's nice, yeah, but I'm not impressed." Then J took us into the garage and turned on the light. There sat a brand new green Jaguar. Hubby spontaneously burst into drooling. J even let him sit in it and start it up. When A got home later she said, "No one sits in that car, not even me, and I've never been allowed to start it."

We quickly put our stuff in our room and had drinks. It had been two years since our last visit, there was a lot of catching up to do. A has a lot of birds, she always has, but this time she has one that will sit on your finger. I've never held a bird before, it was the coolest thing ever. Even when the little bitch pecked the shit out of me I loved it. They built a new sun room onto the house, it was beautiful. How A can work so hard and still keep all her plants alive is beyond me.

The next day we visited another friend of ours, S. S and her husband bought a house two years ago that was one day away from being condemned. The location is prime, right on the marsh and just full of trees, but the house? Awful would be a compliment. Aside from the fact that it was dirty and infested with rodents, the rooms were small and the layout just didn't make any sense. They owned a perfectly good house in town, what possessed them to buy this money pit?
Fast forward two years. The house is fabulous. They worked their asses off to make it what it is. They still aren't done, but the improvement is spectacular. They also had a kid in this short time, I don't know how they manage it. S owns her own wedding coordinating business and is busy, busy, busy. She took the day off to be with us, so....drinking! Three margaritas and two beers later hubby poured me in the car and we went home. I had to take a nap. That night J fixed us New York strip steak, crab legs, corn on the cob, and potatoes. Oh, how I love to be spoiled!

One thing that visiting J and A always does to me is make me feel poor. We, hubby and I, are working on it, but they have a good 20 years on us. We drove to Hilton Head, SC, to visit a friend of ours that went to school with my husband. G and his wife, I, live in a rented bungalow where the only things they own are a TV and the clothes on their backs. This made me feel great! Not that I want our friend to live in squalor, but man, we are doing pretty well compared to them. It's all about perspective. However, G is a very motivated and aggressive guy. They'll be in a mansion with a butler before you know it.

The rest of our time was spent shopping, eating, drinking, and lazing around the gardens at J and A's house. Oh, and getting a new tire. Seems the roofers left a few nails in the driveway for our arrival. Thanks, guys!

2 Comments:

Blogger Matto the Hun said...

We dislike seeing friends be vastly more successful also makes us feel poor, so I know exactly how you feel.

If you wanna feel NOT poor you could always visit us. Our neighbor set a small fire in his place 3 months ago and the water from the sprinkler system flooded from his place into our. Our kitchen has been gutted for 3 months and half our living room is in storage.

A month and a half ago i went into major sugery, but don't worry! I'm alive.

I also have no job, granted that's my fauly, I quit, but really the my job was a lot of the reason I had to have surgery.

Oh... and we might have a mold problem making us sick.

Oh! and our parking garage was closed down by the city and we have to pay to park in the BellSouth garage the next block over... and we as homeowners will be assessed $10K to pay for major repairs to our garage.

Yep... come on down and visit, you'll feel like a queen on a bed of Tapiocca! (well I like Tapiocca...)

Kiss Kiss!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

Oh My God! Listen, we have the spare, you and the Mrs. pack what possessions you have left and come up for a visit. Jesus, was your surgery organ related? I'm glad to know you're all right. We thought about stopping in Atlanta to see you, then we got stuck in rush hour traffic and said, "Fuck Atlanta!" Sorry.

Just let us know if you need anything. We have a bunch of stuff just sitting around in the basement. Coffee makers, blow up furniture, clothes. Let us know. Love and miss you both.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home