Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Don't Say You Weren't Warned

I lock my car when I get in it.
I lock my car no matter where I get out of it.
I take a look around before I get out of my car to see if anything looks amiss.
I lock my doors at home no matter where I'm going or how long I'll be gone.
I lock the doors at home when I am inside.
I do not answer my door unless I know who it is. If you don't tell me, I'm calling the police.
I do not trust anyone.
I do not walk alone at night.
I do not talk to strangers.
I do not go into a stranger's car or house for any reason, and I do not put myself in situations that I can not easily get out of.
I look at my surroundings to see if anyone may be following me or just looks wrong.
If I see something I don't like, I alter my course.

My family makes fun of my paranoia. They think the world is just full of wonderful people and bad things just can't happen to us. Bad people look bad, you can trust anyone as long as they smile and ask about your grandkids.

My husband makes fun of my paranoia. He thinks it "cute". He amuses himself by telling me lies and playing around with my psyche.

Read this story and tell me how "cute" it is. I feel for Alison and I am so glad that she survived. However, it breaks my heart to know that all of this could have been avoided if she had JUST LOCKED HER DAMN DOORS!

And no, it doesn't matter that it happened over 10 years ago in Africa. This happens everywhere and it's happening right now. The only reason Alison's story ever became popular was because the two men who attacked her were out on bail for the exact same crime. It shook the judicial system down to the roots, but it wasn't because of what happened to her. Had a novice tried to kill her it probably wouldn't have made the front page.

Call me paranoid, but you'll never see me walking across a desert holding my intestines in a shirt.

A friend of mine, several years ago, was sitting in her car, light on, window open, digging through her purse. A man came up, reached through the window, grabbed her purse and ran away. Who's fault was it? His for taking an open opportunity, or her's for making herself such an easy target. She blamed herself, I gave her a good 50-50. If she had 1) gotten out of the car and went into her house to look through her purse, 2) rolled her window up, 3) kept the welcoming spot light off, or 4) paid attention to her surroundings, it would have never happened.

Now, am I saying that she asked for it? Hell no. But she made it pretty easy, didn't she? She dangled a big, fat steak in front of a hungry Pitbull and lost.

There are bad people out there.
They will hurt you for no reason.
You can die from something other than natural causes.
It is up to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

That's so funny because my husband does that, too. Only he's used to it now so he doesn't complain anymore.

I've screwed myself a few times by leaving the house to get something in my car and finding I've locked myself out. That's embarassing.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home