Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

TV

In the mornings I turn the TV in the bedroom on so I have something to listen to while I get dressed. Usually I keep it on MTV or VH1 just in case they might actually be playing music. Lately they've been showing this thing called "The Hills."

The first time I listened to this show I thought, "What a complete bore. All they're doing is sitting around talking. Maybe this is a special episode or something." But no, the next morning it was the same, and the morning after that. The premise of this show is just that: people sitting around talking. They are sitting in a restaurant, a bar, a house, an office. Boooooooo-ooooring!

How has this show become so popular? I can watch people sitting around talking and using their cellphones on a daily basis. And the crap they talk about is boring, too. I could understand if one of them had AIDS or a father that molested them, but no, it's "He said he liked so-and-so but so-and-so doesn't like him and I think he should go out with me, but then she said..." Ugh. Has our life become so boring that other people's mundane conversation qualifies as entertainment? Have we become such a computer-dependent society that we no longer meet in small groups for conversation but must tune into television to see how it's done? I just don't get it.

I also watch the Amazing Race and I was really upset to see the married ministers lose this last leg. Just in case you don't watch, the Ministers were a married couple. Both women. And both were ministers. This may disturb a lot of people but I thought they were great. Why? Because they were married lesbians? No, because they had their heads on straight when it came to God.

"We have no delusions that God cares one bit about us winning this race." Finally, honesty and religion come together. These ladies did not see fit to pray every time a new challenge or situation came up. They did not blame their misfortunes on God, or claim that they lost because it was all part of God's greater plan. In face, they hardly talked about God at all. This I admired. They weren't pushy or insisted upon preaching to the other contestants. They didn't push God pamphlets into the hands of every foreigner they met. It was so nice to see a couple of religious people who could actually control themselves. I wish they hadn't lost, I would have liked to seen more of them.

Back to work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matto the Hun said...

I was sad they came in last also. They were very cool, mellow and down to earth over all. And while I would not likely "subscribe" to their particular religion, it was, as you said, THE most honest, NON-B.S. expression on their beleif in God I've heard... well, I don't even know when.

But hey how about that blond from the dating couple who fell in the muck on her first muck-vault... on her back! Man that was AWESOME!

How about that dad when his daughter decided to do the "moving-in-pulley" challenge. He started in on her about how long it would take to pull that stuff up. So she says lets go do the bikes and he starts in on how long it will taake to look through a see of bikes.

WTF dude! They are called challenges, what did you expect! If he's gonna bitch about one challenge he needs to STFU when they do the other one. And then he starts in on his daughter saying that she needs to commit to decisions. This also made me mad. She did make a decision, but he badgered her out of it.

I did love it when he was on the kid's case for being rude at the airport. That was just funny as heck.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

Ah, the blond. That left a mark, I'm sure. I was disappointed it took the Goth guy Kynt so long to get over the much, have you seen his arms? Little bugger works out, that's for sure.

The Chinese father needs a pill. Any pill will do as long as it calms his ass down. Taking off on the rude kid (I hate that team, the grandfather pisses me off so much) was pretty funny.

The best part was that one guy (blond, hippy looking) talked about experiencing the culture is just as important as the race. They were going to Amsterdam. Any guesses on what culture he wanted to experience???

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home