Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Friday, November 21, 2008

Freaking

Man, oh man! A lot of my roller derby girls are losing their jobs, or having a significant other lose their jobs. Some have large portfolios that are dwindling down to pennies on the dollar. They all have mortgages, car payments, kids in school (well, some of them).

It's fucking scary. It also breaks my heart. I can't do anything for any of them. My university is feeling the pinch as well, they've put a freeze on new hires. Our Chancellor (whom I adore, by the way) is taking a huge pay cut in order to keep jobs. They've also put a hold on future construction projects, I had to check and make sure hell hadn't frozen over on that one. there is nothing, NOTHING, my university likes more than new construction.

The fear of what may happen if our economy doesn't bounce back is creeping in. I'm having worries I never thought I'd have. I'm paying more attention to my grandmother, she lived through the Depression. I'm putting aside more cash "just in case." I don't trust our institutions to have our best interests at heart should something catastrophic come up.

But hey, at least we all get a free Dr. Pepper!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home