Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Monday, May 16, 2005

No means no, a-hole

I had an interesting lunch. At work there was a photo exhibition by some of the graduating seniors. I was looking through them when I saw a boy, he couldn't have been more than 18 or 19, sitting at an empty table. He was wearing some sort of dirty burger uniform and had a comb sticking out of his hair. I glanced at him and then went back to the photo's. As I got closer I could feel him staring at me. That creepy, stalker kind of stare. I turned around to glare at him. He gave me a nod and said, in a smooth, dramatically deep voice, "How you doin?"
"I'm married," I replied.
"What's that supposed to mean?" he asks, giving me the "Who, me?" face.
"It means I'm not interested."
"So?"

I roll my eyes and turn to leave when he says, and this is soooo original, "I can treat you better than you man."

Uh-huh. Let me think about that. My man owns the home that I live in. My man makes a damn good salary and spends a pretty good portion of it on me. My man commands respect, owns his own car, and can buy his own expensive boy-toys. My man doesn't have to wear polyester to work. My man bathes regularly. And my man doesn't sit around with a comb sticking out of his nappy hair using bad English to hit on women.

I turn and give a him a very short laugh. I slowly give him the once over, making sure he knows that I'm measuring him up. In my most disgusted voice I said, "I seriously doubt that."

What is it about men? Guys, when you hit on a woman, and she says no, she means it. There isn't some secret code that means "I'm saying no but I really mean yes." When we tell you to get lost - get lost. If we are interested in you, we will talk to you. If not, cut your losses and try someone else. If we're wearing wedding rings and tell you to go away, we REALLY mean it. Taken, unavailable, off-limits, spoken for, not interested, got it?

It's insulting to be doing something as ordinary as looking at photos and have some burger dork hit on me. I'm not looking to be sexually harassed today, thank you. Contrary to popular male belief, women do not want it all the time. And certainly not from someone who looks like they still live with their mom.

I guess any loser that hits on every woman that comes within five feet of him, eventually he'll find one with enough low self esteem to say yes. It sure as hell won't be me.

2 Comments:

Blogger xodiaq said...

Ten bucks also says that guy…

1. Thinks Paris Hilton is hot.
2. Truly believes 50 Cent is a genius and completely representative of his culture.
3. Yearns to own his own 2001 Honda Civic Hatchback with an aftermarket spoiler and coffeecan Muffler so he can show all those guys with VW's hanging at Taco Bell who's really in charge.

Theres no accounting for intelligence or class, but some people have very bad reactions to testosterone. I'd wager to say, he was one of them.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Matto the Hun said...

I'd also say he'll never read your explanation of "no mean no", etc. because

1) you assume he and his kind read.
2) you assume they can get on the internet.
3) IF they are on the internet I can bet you they AREN't reading.

... though I imagine you are more or less aware of this. :P

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home