Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Friday, September 02, 2005

Hurricane Katrina (What a Surprise)

I have something to say to those in New Orleans:

I'm sorry, were you surprised? Did this hurricane sneak up on you? Did you not know that it was coming? Did you not hear the warnings? Did you not know your entire city was below sea level?

People in New Orleans chose to stay in their homes knowing damn well a hurricane the size of a mini planet was coming towards them. They had two whole days to pack their shit and get the hell out of town, but they chose not to. Through ignorance or arrogance they thought for sure that they wouldn't be effected by a CLASS 4/5 hurricane. Yes, you need help and you deserve to get it, but take responsibility for your own actions. We've had enough major hurricanes in the last couple of years for all of you to know what to expect.

This is the type of disaster there is no preparing for. When an earthquake hit Kobe, Japan and killed 5,000 people, it took rescuers two days to go into action. When the tsunami hit last year, efforts of rescue did not start right away. It took days for some people to get aid, so stop saying our country has let New Orleans down. There isn't a rule book for this kind of shit, ESPECIALLY when you add animalistic bastards with guns to the mix. You want to blame someone, blame them. Yes, it's terrible, and none of this should have happened, but it did. There are thousands of people who need help. Thousands. It's going to take some time.

I do feel sorry for those suffering through this. I will gladly help out in any way that I can, but you assholes on the news need to stop it with the guilt trips. Don't show film of devastated houses and chastise me because I still have a bed to sleep in; or show the faces of hungry children and chastise me for having food on my plate. Maybe it's a St. Louis thing because of all the Catholics that live here, but I don't feel any guilt over this. I didn't conjure the hurricane and I didn't control it, so why should I feel guilty for it?

Having said my peace, I implore you to call the Red Cross and see what they need. Universities all over this country are organizing relief efforts for students; if you have money, clothes, or food you want to donate call your closest school and find out how to help. If you are sheltering refugees from New Orleans, aid is available to you. If you have old cell phones, laptops, and/or computers, please donate those. Every little bit helps someone.

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home