Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Thanks, Now My Ears are Bleeding

I heard a song on the radio today that made my eyes roll to the back of my head. Y'know, there is just no original music today. Some time ago this artist, I forget his name, released a song called "The Remedy." I didn't think it was that great of a song, but the radio station here in St. Louis played it all damn day. This kid sang it at every sporting event he could book, and it was used for countless TV spots. Thankfully, it died out as quickly as it blew up.

So he's released his second hit, a little ditty called "Word Play," that is absolutely unbelievable. The lyrics tell a little story something like this:

"Hi, I had a one hit wonder. My manager told me the revenue from that hit is running out, so I quickly wrote this song, which sounds just like the last one, only I changed to words to say how great I am for writing the first song to begin with. Oh, and I sing really fast, just like I did on 'The Remedy,' so that's what makes me so special. I'm great, here's the new song, and oh, I'm great."

This is the worst song I think I have ever heard. What nerve, to sing about how great he is because he had a one-hit wonder. The Beatles were great. The Rolling Stones were great. Tina Turner is great. Henry Rollins is great. This kid is a big steaming pile o' crap.

Which makes me think that there hasn't been anything original on the radio since 1977. Sure, there have been a few flashes in the pan, but most of today's bands suck. They re-make other people's songs and then think, foolishly, that they are rock stars. No, dear, originality and talent make you a rock star, not being a two-bit copycat with ProTools. I'm not even going to get started on the boy-bands.

And it used to be you went to a record store and found employees with musical knowledge that rivals that of a deity. Now the children who work these stores only care about Brittany Spear's baby and what brand of underwear Nelly likes. Half of them think the Velvet Underground is a metaphor for anal sex.

I can't wait to get my satellite radio installed, then I won't have to listen to this crap anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger xodiaq said...

Funny you should say satellite radio will fix that, thats the only reason I know "The Remedy" is by Jason Mraz. Shoot me now.

XM 150 XL Comedy and High Voltage 202 plus the 4 jazz stations far outweigh the bad, though.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home