Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hey, Mooch, let's have a chat, shall we?

I visited Savannah, GA, and found a job before I actually moved to the state. My soon-to-be husband was a student, I knew there was no way he could support both of us. And I didn't want it that way. I feel that if you are old enough to get a job, get one. There are no alternatives.

The job I secured turned out to be a bad one, and I was shortly fired (not my fault, honest, my "trainer" quit the day I started and left me holding the bag. New town, new people, different world - me fired). It wasn't until a month later that I found another job.

During that time I wouldn't buy anything for myself. I felt guilty eating and using electricity. I spent every day in pursuit of employment. I felt horrible buying a bottle of hair conditioner. Why? Because every penny I spent was not my own. I wasn't earning my keep and it bugged the shit out of me. I felt absolutely horrible that hubby was footing the bill for everything. Beer, red meat, magazines; I considered these things luxuries and I couldn't have them until I bought them myself. I sent out resumes, made endless phone calls, and at the end of the day organized what I was going to do the next day. Finding a job WAS my job.

It's too damn bad not everyone feels this way. I have been stewing over this topic for the past few weeks and it's time to dish. My sister's boyfriend, M, has not had a job for the last three years. Yes, YEARS. He lives off my sister's salary completely. Oh, he says he's looking for a job, but sitting on your ass for four months and then sending out a resume here and there isn't exactly pounding the pavement, is it?

M is a good guy. He's a nice guy. He cares for my sister and my nephew. He's just lazy as hell. His efforts to find a job would make some of you snort liquid out your nose. He doesn't mind at all that my sister is working herself to the bone in order to support her family. How do I know this?

See, M likes to drink. He's no alcoholic, but for someone who doesn't have a job he buys an awful lot of alcohol. See where I'm going with this? M buys himself a lot of luxuries. With my sister's money. My sister who, right before Halloween, had to tell my nephew that he couldn't go trunk-or-treating with his classmates because they couldn't afford it.

Ah, the plot thickens.

That's right, my sister would have kept my nephew at home, but M has plenty to drink. Does this make sense to you, because it makes no damn sense to me. My sister is poor. Not welfare poor, but close, and this clod is drinking? Does anyone else think this is just a big, steaming pile of bullshit?

Rant time - I guess M is just too good to work. He's too good to be a waiter or work at McDonald's. He's too good to clean toilets, work in construction, be a mover, be a landscaper, become a painter, be a cashier, stock shelves, wash cars, pick up trash, deliver mail, or anything else that doesn't involve computers. When I needed extra money I cleaned toilets for four hours a night. You do what you have to do.

My sister will come up with 100 excuses as to why M does not have a job. But three years? C'mon, even a blind man can see M isn't trying too damn hard. This is St. Louis, not Savannah.

There is no way I could live off someone else's charity for three years. I don't want anyone doing something for me out of pity. To listen to my sister talk about money problems, than see her big goof of a boyfriend knocking them back makes me sick. How can someone be so damn lazy?

Deep inside I fear my sister may not want M to have a job because she thinks if he has his own money he'll leave her. She's been hurt, ain't no argument there, but would you want to live with a guy who only sticks around because he's too poor to move on? Where is the love in that?

I love my sister, and I only want what is best for her. Two people could live on my sister's salary much better than three, but my sis will never dump this guy, so until she has enough he'll keep mooching off her and sitting on his ass. It's not hard to find a job, you just have to be willing to do the work. My sister does not have to live the way she is living. But she chooses to, so all I can do is rant on this here blog and try not to scream the next time she complains about her life.

4 Comments:

Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Very well spoken. I am also in IT and I can tell you that it has almost returned to the glory days in term of employment. Jobs are everywhere in IT right now and if you cannot find one then you are not looking at all. Send M this job:

info sys Computer Problem Bus ters seeks highly moti vated computer Tech. Extensive exp. w/PC software/hardware req'd. Exp. w/Mac & Li nux is a plus. Position req. strong communica tion skills & ability to in teract w/ wide range of indiv. Fax 314/878-8329 hr1@computer problembusters.com

12:01 PM  
Blogger mmhilbert said...

Sounds like 'M' has a touch of depression coupled with a sense of pride. I am with you that you 'do what you have to do' and I wouldn't want someone else supporting me, but depression is a hole that you fall into that has very slippery sides.

I'd say he needs to actually get the suit on and physically go to an interview even if not fully qualified to give him a spark.

Also, if he has been out of IT for 3 years, his skills are really starting to get stale. Instead of buying the next six-pack, it would be a good idea to read a few white papers on the technology that is hot (Vista, VOIP..etc..)

Well hopefully your sis can light a fire under 'M' or kick his lazy ass out..

3:04 PM  
Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

Darth - Thanks. That is good information to have.

Reeper - I like the way you think!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

While you were depressed...did you have a job?

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home