Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Talk less, think more

I hate talking on the telephone. I do it because my carrier pigeons have gotten too fat and lazy to deliver my messages anymore. I'm not a big fan of talking, period. I mean, I like to talk, but I am not one of those females who can carry on a conversation for hours and hours and hours and talk about everything under the son three or four times over. Ten minutes and I'm done. I hate repeating myself, and if we've already talked about something once, there is no real need to talk about it again. I prefer the written word. People can't interrupt or ignore you when you write something. One of the reasons I started this blog was so my mother would actually hear everything I have to say.

My mother doesn't interrupt on purpose, it's just that whenever something pops into her mind, it comes out her mouth at the same time. If you just happen to be talking, that's your tough luck.

But she's not the only one. In fact, everybody interrupts these days. Even Oprah - the less famous her guest, the more she interrupts them. The art of conversation is dead. Everyone is too busy thinking of what they want to say that they don't take the time to actually listen.

I hate the One-Uppers, too. You know, you tell someone that you (insert here), and then they have to tell you a similar story only they did it faster, sooner, better, or cheaper than you did. They can't just listen to your story or maybe laugh about it with you. When I was in high school I knew a girl like that. You could tell her you just rescued on alien from a pack of rabid penguins in a stolen school bus and she'd say, "Oh, I rescued two last Tuesday." It's no fun talking to a person like that, you don't learn anything new. Like parrots, they regurgitate your story back to you with a few changed details.

Bigfoot died today. If you're a Howard Stern fan, then you know who he was. For everyone else, he was the giant in the movie "Big Fish." He was 32, the same age as me. That's creepy. RIP, big guy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matto the Hun said...

Oh yeah! We'll I heard that BIGGER FEET died yesterday. And my mom can go on for days!... and she interupts before i even start talking!

I'm not that good at conversation... mostly because i hate to interrupt and I'm not that quick at slipping what I have to say into a conversation. As soon as I am sure that one person is done talking somebody else has already assesed that they are done and has started to say something. By the time i have a chance to say anything we are ona different topic to which i have nothing to say.

When I ever get anything into to the conversation it's either by luck or I've interrupted by accident... which makes me feel really bad.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

But, Matto, you're so darn cute, you don't need to say much! My husband and I can converse for hours, he is great at both listening and talking. No one else, though.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Matto the Hun said...

WOW! That has to be one of the best compliments I've had (not counting the ones i get after sex ;) )

But then thinking on it, if you where a guy and I was a girl, thhat would be incredible despariging... right up there with saying that I know my place is in the kitchen squeezing out babies and baking pies.

(or is that squeezing out pies and baking babies... hmmmm)

the nerve!

I'm leaving this blog in a huff
HUFF!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Matto the Hun said...

nevrmind I'm back... I'll take what i can get

:D

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home