Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Monday, January 29, 2007

RIP Barbaro

When the last Kentucky Derby was going on my Papaw lie dying in the Louisville hospital. The race is such a part of Louisville, KY, that no matter what is going on in your life it will wrap itself around you like a thin blanket. During the constant vigil at my Papaw's bedside we watched as the pre-game festivities gave way to the race itself.

We didn't really know one horse from another, but because of my name they rooted for Barbaro. (Sadly, no one placed any bets.) Papaw was doing well when Barbaro won, the last conscious moments of his life were full of good humor and hope. It was soon after that the man we knew and loved slipped away, his body caught up a short time later.

My husband and I stayed with my cousin, Big Boy. He lives in a part of town that has a lot of bars and restaurants. The evening of the win the three of us went out and had a fabulous time. The streets were full of Derby patrons celebrating their wins or drinking away their losses. A big part of the Derby is wearing hats, we saw some that defied explanation to others that were simply adorable. It was a fun night. We thought Papaw was going to get better so our spirits were high. Everywhere one went the miraculous story of Barbaro was being discussed.

The next time we all came together was at Papaw's funeral. Shortly after Barbaro injured himself at the next big race. We, my family, had a connection to this horse now, we all rooted for his recovery and paid close attention to his care. We had already lost Papaw, we wanted this horse to pull through.

Which is why I am so devastated that Barbaro was put down this morning. I'm not going to say it's like losing Papaw all over again because it doesn't come close, but losing the one thing that brought us all together (and brought us joy) is now gone. It's another black ribbon to tie around my memories. He fought for so long....

I know when that horse walked through the Pearly Gates Papaw was there with his big goofy grin and suspenders saying, "I told them they should have bet on you."

3 Comments:

Blogger The Grunt said...

Barbaro will probably let your Papaw take him for a gallop on God's own race track.

1:54 PM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

You'd think after all the leg injuries suffered by horses they would have some type of replacement surgery. A metal bar or some artificial bone which could repair a broken leg.

I was saddened by the horse's death but even more saddened they still have to kill a horse because of a broken leg.

Thanks for sharing the story about your Papaw.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

I've never understood that, either. We have three-legged cats, dogs, rats, and deer, why can't we have a horse? It doesn't make any sense to me.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home