Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

This is My Soapbox

Issy sent my brother-in-law (BIL) a website with job links. Now, if you'll remember, my BIL has not worked for quite a while. He now is in the process of finding a job.

Or is he?

Here is the reply Issy got when she sent him the links. I've added my own thoughts in red.

Thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate it. But it looks like that is definitely not what I do. I did a quick check on your web site and I found a list of job descriptions. That was the point! And for the record, you don't "do" anything.

<><>I don’t think that’s all the jobs that you can get at (your company). But in that list I could be a Coordinator or a Technician. And if they promote from within, maybe that would be a good way in for me. Ya think? <>

If you follow the example of the “Web Developer” position, somewhere in your company there’s a place where the CEO and all the executives have adjoining glass offices. Generally this is where the IT department also lives. The Web developer will share room or cube space with me if I worked at (your company) in this scenario.
I'm sorry, but when did you become an expert on a company you have 1) never visited, 2) never worked for, and 3) never even been in the damn building? And why would a new hire get his own office? Aren't we thinking a bit much of ourselves, seeing as you haven't worked in years? <>

This person who gets hired to be the web developer at (your company) will need a computer to work at. No, really? You think the company would supply that? He or she will need all that setup with everything installed. If I was an entry tech or just the low man/recent hire I would be doing that job, which is generally called Help Desk.
Um, you WOULD be the low man/ recent hire. That's how it works. Most people are hired in a low position and work their way up to the desired position. That's what having a job is all about. <>

I usually work above that guy being called an Administrator. When do you usually work? Because all I've seen you do is sit on your ass and mooch off my sister. I setup the servers that the Web Developer will program to do various things. And I make sure that all the other servers stay running and are backed up. “.NET” is one of the requirements for the Web Developer. If the “.NET” breaks then it’s me who fixes it. Says who? When? Sounds awful limited to me, think you might want to expand your horizons and make some MONEY?
<>

Above me is someone either called a Network Supervisor or CIO or usually just IT Director. They spend more time in meetings and knew about the Web Developer job 6 months before I did.
Huh? <>

Sometimes if the company is small enough they will just have one guy that does all three of those jobs. I did that at my last job. It’s not much fun.
It's called WORK for a reason. I think you've had enough fun in the last three years YOU HAVEN'T WORKED. <>

I sent along my resume with this. And I wrote a cover letter for general AV type work. If you think they are accepting resumes for possible future positions, and you know somebody etc etc you can pass it along. Since when does Issy work for you, asshole? If you want a job (which you clearly don't) YOU do the damn leg-work.


Where do I begin? I had no idea my BIL was too good for lowly employ
ment. I didn't know that expecting him to work his way into a better position was beneath him. He's so good at what he does that he hasn't been able to do it for years! I bet there is a whole slew of upper management out there just asking themselves, "Where can we find a conceited employee who is too good to do any real work?"

I'm out of this fight. If my sister wants to live with a man who will never get a job that is her business. I don't want to hear any more of the EXCUSES. And they are excuses. There are two types of people in this world. The one's who will do what they need to do in order to survive, and the one's who climb on the backs of those people and want a free ride. BIL is CLEARLY of the second.

3 Comments:

Blogger DarthImmortal said...

He reminds me of Cousin Eddy from the Vacation movies. Remember he hadn't worked for over 10 years because he was holding out for a management position? LOL!

This guy obviously does not want to work and has no plans to re enter the job market. Your sister should give him a final date to either find a job or move out. At first she might think this is cruel, but she would be surprised how fast he finds a job after this ultimatum is given. And if he does not get a job, then he has shown his true colors and that he is using her for support.

I would hate to be in your postiion. To see a loved one mistreated like this and then to constantly have to be the bearer of bad news to give her a reality check, which sounds like she is ignoring, would suck.

This is all the more resson to have another oatmeal cookie. :)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Barbarian02003 said...

Hubby came home last night with a bag of oatmeal raisen cookies. Ummm, me loves my husband, loves him!

5:21 PM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

Your brother in law and my brother in law should hang out. Actually, that would be a bad idea.

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home