Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Husband Does Not Beat Me

I think I need a t-shirt with that on it. I have:

A big purple bruise on my right elbow
A bruise and several scrapes on my right arm
A healing bruise or two on my left arm
A big ol' ugly bruise on my right hip
A big ol' ugly bruise on my right buttock
My abs are sore
My hip bones are sore

This is all from derby, of 'course. We've been practicing for the Rookie Rumble and things are getting exciting (read - physical). Last night I took out one of our bigger girls (she's hard to take down, it was a proud moment) only to have her team mate land on me. That's what ground my hip bones into the floor. Doing 100 crunches and then 30 minutes of yoga on Sunday is what's made my abs sore. The bruises are just par for the coarse.

I've come a long way since my injury. A month ago I didn't think I had a snowballs chance in hell of being drafted to a team, but now I have a little hope. I make plenty of mistakes, but I'm learning from them.

Tonight we have a speed skating lesson. A retired Olympic speed skater is coming to our rink and giving us a good workout. I'm very excited, speed is something we all can improve on. All the fancy foot-work in the world doesn't do any good if you're behind everyone. No one can see you!

Sunday my team (Go Pink!) had a team bondage day. We worked out, then ate a healthy dinner, and then tied one on while playing games and rocking out with Rock Star! Some of the Black team members showed up for the second half. I was sitting on the floor, a beer between my legs because I had foolishly worn a skirt (thank god I had undies!) listening to one of my girls tell a story and I realized something.

I knew every person's name in that room. There had been laughs and tears shared with many of them. I had offered my support at times, and in turn they had supported me at times. I knew some better than others, but I would consider all of them my friend. We all formed a complicated mesh of personalities and humor, and I was a part of it. I wasn't looking in from the outside wishing I could be a part of it, I was a part of it. I am a part of it. It was a spectacular feeling.

All the bumps, the falls, the face an inch from a filthy floor, the wretched stench of unwashed wrist guards, the cursed words, and the agony of drill after drill after drill - worth it! The scrapes, bruises, and sore spots - worth it!

So I'll just get the shirt and be done with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home