Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Friday, May 30, 2008

Tomorrow is the Big Day

Tomorrow is the Rookie Rumble. I am so excited/nervous about it. As the organizer and Captain of the pink team I have been stressed to the max. Things are finally falling into place. I can be more of a skater now and not so much a slave-master.

I think my team has a pretty good chance at winning. We are organized, have been practicing non-stop, and have come up with many different strategies. I'm not saying the other team hasn't done these things, but I think my team is a bit more organized. No matter who wins I am proud of my team. We have been together for less than a month but we work so well together.

The only thing that bothers me is Buns is on the black team. If we win I will be very happy, but I will also have beaten my derby wife. I know how hard she works and it will be a bittersweet moment for me. I care so much for her and I know what she'll be feeling. If she wins, she knows how I will be feeling. It's nice. But it's gonna suck a little no matter what.

Last night as I was leaving practice my team gave me hugs and kisses. I was taken aback at first, but then I felt all warm and gooey inside. The only thing I've ever wanted to do with this team is be a good example, support them unconditionally, and give them the tools they need to better themselves out there on the rink. Last night I felt I had done my job. As a Captain one often takes a lot of shit. This I wasn't prepared for, but I think I've handled it pretty well. I've tried to keep my mouth shut (it tends to act on it's own a lot of times). I tell you what, though. I couldn't have done this alone. Doom, derby wife and the other Pink Captain, is a phenomenal person and she has been extraordinary in this role. She's only 24, in a couple of years she is going to be a superstar, you just watch.

I'll be kind of glad when this is all over and I can dedicate parts of my brain to things non-derby. We, hubby and I, are going to Savannah in July. We need to start saving up gas money now! I haven't written or created anything in the last few weeks. I have to dig a bunch of stuff up from the basement and I just haven't had the time/energy. Between derby and housework I only have time for sleep.

Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home