Yarg

Welcome to the random ramblings of a scattered mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Louis, MO

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

We had a wonderful vacation. J & A, as always, were supreme hosts. The trip down was uneventful until we hit Hwy 16. Now, if you are not familiar with that particular southern highway it is a study in motorized torture. It is flat, straight, long, and surrounded by trees. For 160+ miles the view does not change. The only good thing about it is you can set the cruise control at 95 and get through it as quickly as possible.

However, when we hit 16 the world’s first and only monsoon hurricane hit our car. It rained so hard we could do at max, and including possible injury, 40mph. To tease us the monsoon/hurricane would slack from time to time, then come back with a vengeance. The lightening was so bright I felt we needed a welding mask in order to keep driving. We finally made it to Savannah and after swimming through downtown showed up soggy and tired at J & A’s house.

Let the drinking commence!

Sat. morning we woke and I tried to call my old boss S. She wanted to spend the day floating and drinking on the river. Sounded good to me. Waiting for her call A told me we had to get ready for the party. The night before they’d told us they had a party Sat. night. I thought it was one they were working. Duh! They were having a party for us! They had to get a few things from the “Kitchen” (the new super-structure they built a few years ago). So hubby and I help load two pans of thick, juicy steaks, a pan of big ol’ fat shrimp, and a huge box of the largest King crab legs I have ever seen. We hoofed it all back to the house. Still no call from S. So A and I decided to go shopping.

A had varicose vein surgery on her leg the day before so our trip was short. When we got back to the house J and hubby were there to meet us. We went to lunch at this wonderful place and I introduced J to Corona. He likey. I ordered the club sandwich and was brought this behemoth platter of bread and meat cut into four quarters. I could only stuff two halves of this monster into my face before I threw in the towel. When we got home it was nap time, then I got ready for the party.

There is something about seeing a lot of old friends in one place after a long absence that makes a person feel so wonderful. I laughed all night. It was with a warm, loved, and slightly drunk (ok, more than slightly) feeling that I went to bed. That came crashing to the ground at 8am Sunday when J started yelling up the stairs about steak and eggs. Why? Why would someone do that! It wasn’t near as horrible as J calling all of his employees who were at the party waking them up. One of them hadn’t gotten home until 4am. After 45 minutes of calls only one showed up, Sh. Poor Sh. He and J proceeded to spend the next 16 hours watching TV and drinking. When hubby and I got back from Hilton Head they were belligerent and slurry. And they had eaten the rest of my monster club. When we went to bed they were still at it! Sh left about 4am. When A called him at 7am he was at work. Seems he drove his car into the fence on the way out that morning. It was a long, horrible day for Sh. All together now, “Awwwwwwww.”

I slept most of the day on Sunday (after J’s rude interruption). I’m not ashamed to say it. It felt damn good. Then I went shopping. God bless Cato. I always find the best stuff! By the time we went to Hilton Head to see our friends I was about caught up. We had a nice time on Hilton Head. The only thing I don’t like about that island is it has no character. All the buildings look the same, all the same colors and shape. For being one of the most expensive places in the country you’d think they would use a little more imagination.

Monday rolled around and I finally heard from my old boss S. I had her work number and it never occurred to her to check it’s voicemail. We went to visit her and her family. They’re great, other than recovering from a tornado that took out half their trees and scared the living shit out of their 5-year-old. Now every time she hears thunder she runs to the bathroom and locks herself in. Poor thing, I can’t blame her. S has a new office. I’m so jealous! Every time I visit the south I get the urge to move back, but this was a huge push in that direction. I could see what improvements I could make, how well S and I would work together. Boo-hoo, I miss her! Now some bitch I don’t even know is sitting in my office doing my job.

Leaving early Tuesday morning was bittersweet. I was anxious to get home but I was loath to leave. I love Savannah. I miss her. I miss my friends. I love where I am now. I don’t think I’ll ever be happy in one place. We made great time on the way home and picked up our dog before heading home and crashing in a big pile. I’ve been detoxing for the last two days. I gained about 5 pounds. I have practice tonight and I am going to be a wreck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home